PETERHEAD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH|
94 Queen Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, AB42 1TT
Minister - Rev Dr James McMillan Church Secretary - Sandra Walker
The Congi, as it's well known here in Peterhead, has served the town and community of Peterhead for nearly 200 years. Historically the Church was founded in 1823 when a group of people, having left the Muckle Kirk in 1802, formed an independent church and bought the Anti-Burgher Chapel in Windmill Street. In due time, because of the growth of the congregation, in 1869 they set out to buy land and have a building designed and erected which opened in 1870.
We are part of the wider Congregational Church in the UK, and an independent partner church in Affinity - a fellowship of churches, evangelical agencies and Christians. We hold fast to the truth of God's Word and the authority of Scripture is absolute in our beliefs and the supremacy of Christ vital in all that we do. We are evangelical in our theology and seek to advance the gospel of Jesus Christ by the preaching of the Word and by the practical helping hand. We have no creeds or written statements of faith, instead we have God's Word, the Bible.
We have a Deacons Court, who are the office bearers of the church, elected by the congregation. The congregation meet regularly in a Church Meeting to make all the decisions regarding every aspect of church life. There are no secrets here ~ everything is laid before the Church Meeting so that all control remains in the hands of the people of the church. Decisions made are not then voted on by anyone else, for the supreme authority in the church is the Church Meeting under the guidance of God. It is the Church Meeting which calls and elects the minister, and the minister remains in that post at the will of the Church Meeting.
© 2021 Peterhead Congregational Church, Scottish Charity No.SC040453. Hosting kindly provided on a Memset® dedicated server.